Anthem’s Rate Increases Reinforce What Has Been Known For Years: ObamaCare is Failing and Mainers Will Suffer if Nothing Is Done
WASHINGTON – Today, Congressman Bruce Poliquin (ME-02) released the following statement after continued reports of the unsustainability of ObamaCare:
“Since ObamaCare was first implemented, Mainers’ premiums and deductibles have skyrocketed. Just last year, the Bangor Daily News reported that ‘average increases for individual plans range from about 14 percent to 24 percent for 2017.’ Insurers—like Anthem—have considered pulling out of the individual market or have already done so, and families have had fewer and fewer health care options,” said Congressman Poliquin. “ObamaCare has been failing for years, as many have warned, impacting tens of thousands of Maine families.
“The people of Maine have seen this problem get worse every year and are not fooled about what is the problem. Now, Democrats are trying to shift blame for the failures of ObamaCare, which has deteriorated every year since it became law. Their answer is to do nothing; that is unacceptable.”
In March, Anthem announced it would begin the process to stop offering Maine ObamaCare policies in January 2018 if the failing law isn’t changed.
In the press:
- Maine Public, January 2016: Number of Uninsured in Maine Fails to Fall, Despite ACA
- Bangor Daily News, May 2016: Obamacare insurers request double-digit rate hikes in Maine
- Portland Press Herald, October 2016: Health insurance costs are surging in Maine
Items to Note:
- March 2017: Anthem President and CEO sends letter to Members of Congress warning of Anthem’s ‘surgical’ extraction if nothing is done on health care and urging action
- May 2015: Rep. Poliquin offers 14 free market solutions to ObamaCare
- February 2017: ObamaCare in Maine Continues on a Downward Path Toward Collapse, Putting Tens of Thousands of Families at Risk