House Passes Defense Bill: Ensures BIW Remains on Track to Build 2 Destroyers, Largest Pay Raise For Troops in 8 Years, Bolsters National Security and Readiness
WASHINGTON – Today, Congressman Bruce Poliquin (ME-02) voted in favor of the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).
This final Defense bill that passed today includes the Poliquin Amendment, which ensures that Bath Iron Works (BIW) can remain in contract negotiations and on track to construct a second Fiscal Year 2016 DDG-51 destroyer and a Fiscal Year 2017 DDG-51 destroyer, after a provision had been added in committee that threatened this important shipyard workload.
“Our troops, sailors, airmen and all other military personnel must have the support they need to carry out their duties and protect our Great Nation, and that includes making sure they have the best, most reliable and most state-of-the-art equipment available,” said Congressman Poliquin. “I am extremely pleased this Defense bill includes my amendment to ensure Bath Iron Works can remain on track to build two destroyers, as well as including the largest pay raise for our troops in eight years and greatly bolstering our defense strength and readiness.
“This is all about keeping America safe and supporting those who sacrifice so much to defend her.”
On the Poliquin Amendment, Congressman Poliquin said, “Bath Iron Works, employing thousands of hardworking Mainers, plays an essential role in ensuring our Nation’s defense and strength. It is critical we support these shipbuilders, who provide for our safety at home and abroad. America’s might around the world depends on these Maine workers at BIW, and I am proud to make sure they can continue their mission.”
The 2018 NDAA includes:
- 2.4% pay-raise for our troops—the largest in eight years
- Increases funding for missile defense research and development
- Reforms and makes more efficient the acquisition process
- Extends special pay and bonuses to service members
- Ensures our service members and their families receive the benefits they deserve
Items to Note:
- The Poliquin Amendment: Poliquin, Pingree Secure Amendment in Defense Bill to Ensure BIW Remains On Track to Build Two DDG-51 Ships, After a Provision Had Threated to Derail Them